Thanks to Healthy Style NY, we’re able to offer you tips for staying healthy and some great meditation spots in the city to get you started.
Staying calm has a lot of health benefits. “Stressful emotions trigger the release of harmful chemicals like cortisol that can wreak havoc on nearly every aspect of our well-being.”
Our mood and demeanor can actually affect heart disease, depression, and the likelihood of illness as well as the likelihood of survival after being diagnosed with diseases like cancer and heart disease.
There are also smaller changes to our lives affected by stress, including obesity, hair loss, ulcers, diabetes and infertility.
So, here are some tips to stay calm:
- Don’t rely on those coffees, teas, and red bulls. Caffeine can actually dehydrate you, and it overloads your liver. Try coconut water, water, or herbal teas and coffees as alternatives.
- Work it out. Working our and activating your adrenal glands can combat stress and strain.
- Keep greens in your diet. A great way to incorporate greens into your diet is in a smoothie. These nutrients “are the key to stamina and good health.”
- Pre-made meals are a great alternative to home-cooked. Pre-washed salad mixes, cut up fruit and vegetables, and take out healthy options (like the hot bar at Whole Foods) are a perfect replacement when you don’t have time to cook something for yourself.
- Meditate! Thanks to the next article in Healthy Style NY, we have four great meditation spots in the East Village.
Meditation “is like an acceptable version of napping.” It gives your body a chance to recharge, clear your mind, and escape daily stress. The goal is to meditate for at least 20 minutes each day.
- Allan Finger Sessions at Ishta Yoga (56th East 11th Streeet)
- Interdependence Project (302 Bowery NY, NY)
- Classes Ana Fox @ Dance Forum NY (20 East 17th Street)
- Yoga High (19 Clinton Street, Suite 205)